Kitchen design trends change every few years, but that doesn’t mean your kitchen has to change too. Instead, you can make smart design decisions to ensure your kitchen looks great for years to come. In this guide, we’ll explain how often you should remodel your kitchen and tips to get long-lasting effects from kitchen renovation.
Understand the Difference between Kitchen Remodeling and Kitchen Renovation
Before we discuss timeframes, we need to point out the difference between kitchen renovation and kitchen remodeling. Renovating involves upgrading your kitchen while preserving the overall layout and function. Remodeling involves changing a significant element of the kitchen, such as the sink placement or the layout of the cabinets. Most homes need kitchen renovation after 10 years, but some homes may never need kitchen remodeling. It all depends on how your kitchen is set up.
Update or Renovate Your Kitchen Every 10-15 Years
On average, kitchens need to be renovated every 10-15 years. This is the amount of time it takes for color trends to change and for finishes to face significant wear and tear. Replace the cabinet doors, change paint and cabinet colors, upgrade the countertops, change out the hardware – do whatever you need to do to modernize your kitchen. If it has been over a decade since you last did this, your kitchen may be in need of refreshment.
Remodel Your Kitchen Only as Needed
Since kitchen remodeling involves more work and demolition than renovation, you should only remodel your kitchen if it’s necessary. If the exiting layout functions well, there is no sense in changing it. However, if your current kitchen is not fit for modern appliances or your entertaining needs, you may want to explore remodeling options. Examine your budget to find the best balance between remodeling and renovation.
How to Get the Most out of Kitchen Renovation
Ready to renovate your kitchen? We want to make sure you get the most from your investment. Follow these tips to get a beautiful kitchen that looks great for years to come.
- Choose neutral colors for staple pieces. You can change the wall color and hardware easily. It takes a lot more time and money to replace the countertops or backsplash. Stick with neutral colors for the foundation and use accent colors in areas that are easy to change out.
- Use a kitchen design that flows with the rest of the home. If your home is sleek and modern, upgrade your kitchen to reflect that. If your home is more traditional, you may want warm-tone cabinets and slightly more ornate finishes. We can help you design a kitchen that perfectly fits your home.
- Invest in quality, like wood over pressed wood. It may cost a little more to get real wood cabinets, but you’ll be able to enjoy those cabinets for significantly longer. Think about the short- and long-term return on investment for every element of the design.
- Create a cohesive design for the whole house. You don’t have to use the exact same colors in each room, but the style and ‘vibe’ should flow from one room to the next. Consider the rooms connecting to your kitchen, and use them to inspire your renovation.
- Work with a trusted team of professionals. If you’re going to spend money on kitchen remodeling or kitchen renovation, the work needs to be done O’Hanlon Kitchens is one of the top kitchen remodeling companies in Maryland because of our commitment to quality and craftsmanship. Check out our gallery to see examples of our work.
If your kitchen is outdated, inoperative, or just plain ugly, we are here to help. O’Hanlon Kitchens offers professional kitchen remodeling and kitchen renovation in Maryland and Pennsylvania. To schedule a quote with a kitchen designer near you, call 443-285-0558.